The first Zach Hill Test has ended! Thank you very much to everyone who entered, I hope it was fun for all. Here are the answers, followed by the announcement of the winner.
01. Hella's first release, Leather Diamond, was only available where? At Hella's early shows
02. Zach played drums in a project called ONIBABA which performed once. Mike Patton and J Lesser were the other two members, though one was not scheduled to perform; a different person was supposed to be in the group but could not make it and wound up being replaced by one of these two. Name the person that dropped out and their replacement: Kid 606 couldn't make it, J Lesser replaced him.
03. An unknown musician sent demos to a record label who then gave them to Zach to help arrange into songs. They went on to work together for several albums. Name this musician: Marnie Stern
04. Which album has the first collaboration between Zach and Andy Morin? Aggressively Humble by CHLL PLL (Recorded, mastered and co-mixed by Andy Morin)
05. Which song from Hella's There's No 666 in Outer Space has never been performed live? "Hand That Rocks the Cradle"
06. List all of Hella's releases that were recorded at Retrofit Recordings: The Devil Isn't Red, Church Gone Wild, There's No 666 in Outer Space, Homeboy (drums), "Stephen Hawking Has a Posse" (drums)
07. Who Do You Think You Aren't by Robby Moncrieff features Zach on drums. Songs from this album were initially released on myspace under what band name? Conrad Zeus
08. Zach has played many different instruments on various albums. Which song did he play trumpet on? "Young Man's Blues" by Holy Smokes / "Unseen Forces" by Zach Hill
09. What is the date of the last time Zach performed with Boredoms/Vooredoms? 02/27/11 Tokyo, Japan at Studio Coast as part of All Tomorrow's Parties' I'll Be Your Mirror series
10. Which song by Death Grips has a sample from Street Fighter II? "Poser Killer"
Question 08: I had "Young Man's Blues" in mind but overlooked the fact that "Unseen Forces" from Astrological Straits has trumpet by Zach. Either answer was accepted.
09: It was brought to my attention that Zach did NOT perform on
11/11/11 with Vooredoms. Hisham Bharoocha, co-ordinator and musician at
all Boadrum events, confirmed this via a person who was in attendance at
the event. I thought he did play on 11/11/11 and had this information
on the site; because this was incorrect, the question was disqualified.
This did not effect the outcome of the contest.
(I sincerely apologize for the errors mentioned in the notes. I'm going to do more contests in the future which will be free of mistakes.)
The winner of this contest is...... Koko B Ware!!! I am not sure if this is the legendary wwf wrestler from the 80s or if it's someone using his name as an alias. Either way, congratulations are in order. "Koko" racked up a perfect score of 9 correct answers! He will receive one vinyl copy of No Love Deep Web by Death Grips.
Again, huge thanks to everyone who wrote in with answers. I look forward to more tests!